Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 2

Yesterday was much of the same stuff as Monday, and I was exhausted, so I didn't post anything. Did you miss me?
Today began with our community scavenger hunt. Our program managers came up with a list of things for us to find in the communities we are serving. Since I am lucky enough this year to be working in the same city I live in, I got to explore my town.
I discovered that I live only a few blocks from many of my team members, so we all met at the college campus to carpool. Five of us crowded into one car, and we were off, discovering exciting things about our community.
Funny thing was, all of us have lived here for a while.
But, while we may not have discovered anything truly "new" about this awesome town, we did get to drive around like mad and take pictures while we did it.
Some of my favorite things on the scavenger hunt list were:
-"Take photos of two of your favorite outdoor sculptures downtown." (Our town has recently spent quite a bit of money on public art. Most locals hate it. I love it because of it's ridiculousness. )

-"Take a picture with a rocket. Any rocket. Even a REAL rocket."

Now, here's where I did learn something new:
-In 2005, the Wall Street Journal's Market Watch ranked our town 4th in the United States for the most coffee shops per capita - 2.1 shops per person! ...Take a picture of your group at a coffee shop.

So, when people ask if Pacific Northwesterners really do drink a lot of coffee, I guess the answer is a definite yes. I don't even know how 2.1 shops per person is possible - but it is a college town, so I guess it makes sense.


This afternoon some of the group leaders got to get together and discuss what we would like to do in small groups the rest of the year. I think we came up with some good ideas, one of them being "how to actually live off your AmeriCorps stipend." $1050 a month doesn't really sound that bad at first, especially when you are right out of college and haven't really had to do things like pay rent, utilities, etc, on your own. I am scared to death I will miss a credit card payment or forget to pay my electric bill one of these months, and I've been doing this for a while.

There are also a lot of resources available to low-income people in this state and in this country. I had no idea how to take advantage of many of them my first year, and I am still learning now. For example, the local Community Action Agency/Opportunity Council provides assistance in paying heating bills. You have to provide proof of income and expenses, as well as a bill for your primary source of heat. I have not had my gas turned on yet, but when I do I will see if I qualify for this program.

I applied online for my Food Assistance on Monday and have not yet heard from DSHS. I will be calling them tomorrow to find out what the hold up is - their website says your application should be processed in the next business day. I gave them three days, I think that's fair. Hopefully by this weekend I will have my EBT card and can eat something besides tuna and beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment