Sunday, September 13, 2009

New Friends

Today we had a "Southern Culture Lesson" at the home of one of my new team members. She has moved here from North Carolina to be a VISTA for the Reading Corps. She wanted to share some of her favorite foods with us, which is something I can happily agree to. I love food. Especially when it's fried.
My new team members, all of whom I have known less than three weeks, all checked ingredients and read labels to make sure there was some wheat-free food I could eat. I missed out on the fried chicken and the biscuits, but ate some delicious cheesy-grits, fried green tomatoes, collard greens, black-eyed-peas, and sweet tea. Delicious.
AmeriCorps may be all about helping others and fighting poverty, but one of the best fringe benefits is the people you meet. I am still friends with several people I served with three years ago, and am sure that I am forging lasting friendships now, with people from across the country. These are people I probably wouldn't meet in my daily life without AmeriCorps - but we are all here, united by a common goal.
And by food. Especially those fried green tomatoes. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment