Saturday, August 29, 2009

Tips for Frugal Living

A lot of websites and articles about saving money give advice like "give up your morning latte," "cut your own hair," and "buy in bulk." I already do these things. I paid for a haircut in February, for the first time in over a year. I cut my own bangs. I rarely buy coffee. I don't get manicures. I buy in bulk not only because it is much less expensive, it also reduces the amount of waste I create.
So, what's a girl to do when she's already following these "tips," and trying to save even more money?
I've found some websites that have pretty decent advice, and I think the best advice can often be found from other people living on a strict budget. The internet is my greatest resource. (It's not even a remote idea that I will cut my internet bill out of my budget. I'd rather give up drinking. Hopefully it won't come to that.)

First of all, this is a fantastic article on eating "ethically" on a food stamp budget. I have a wheat allergy and don't like to eat meat or many fruits/veggies that aren't organically grown, so I do most of my shopping at our local food Co-op. It's nice to know that it is possible to eat organics on a food stamp budget.

The British government published a book called "Mend and Make Do" during WWII, when supplies were short. It's being reprinted with some modern touches, but the sentiment is still the same. There is no need to throw away a sock or a shirt just because it has a hole - Mend and Make Do! Read about it here.

The great thing about going "green" is you often end up saving money in the process. Just like buying in bulk, many green tips are about reducing your waste and consumption, which is why we end up saving money. Some of my favorite green living sites are:
The Green Guide - National Geographic's green living website!
Green Living - the online version of the magazine


Some more websites and other blogs with good frugal living tips:


There are several forums out there for living on the cheap, and here's a list of my favorites
Frugal Mom Forums - good even for those of us who aren't moms.
Budget 101 Forums - has coupons, budget tips, recipes and more


That's all for now! Please let me know if you have any good websites to add to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment