Thursday, August 27, 2009

Welcome!

So it begins.
In four days I start my second year of service with AmeriCorps. I am looking forward to it, but it will be a challenge. One of the most challenging parts will be living off of my AmeriCorps stipend - $1050 a month.
I will be writing about my experience as a member of the Washington Reading Corps, what I learn about the education system and myself as an educator, as well as how I survive off of $1050 a month.
Making $12,600 annually will put me slightly above the federal poverty line, which is $10,830 per year, but not by much. That extra $148 a month will mostly be going to my car payment, which is something I'm not willing to give up at this time (well, getting rid of the payment would be great, but I'm keeping the car), and which is an expense I doubt many people living below the poverty line have. Luckily in my new position it looks like I will be able to bus to work every day, but living in my town without a car could be very difficult. Who knows, maybe I'll try it eventually.
Luckily, the AmeriCorps stipend does not count as income to qualify for food stamps from DSHS. I will be getting $200 a month in food benefits, which I can use for anything but hot food and alcohol.
Also, I am cheating just a little bit - my parents pay my car insurance and my cell phone. Without them, I would not be able to afford my awesome apartment (which will be difficult anyway, but I will manage!)
So, my basic budget looks like this:
Income: $1050
Rent: $575
Car Payment: $132
Money Left for expenses: $343/month

It's going to be interesting! Thanks for your support.

5 comments:

  1. It's missing a link to make donations to the Rosie Fund via PayPal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm in WRC too! I'll be helping in Beacon Hill. This blog will definitely come in handy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how did you manage on the first year's stipend? I'm debating on taking a position in FL, but I'm worried about living off of $860 a month. Hopefully, that idea about food stamps will work out for me too.

    ReplyDelete